Millions of people choose Botox® and dermal fillers every year to smooth lines, replenish lost volume, and look years younger without surgery. If you’re a fan of injectables or considering treatment, here are some proven tips for ensuring your best results.
While I can’t promise you a perfect treatment — and no responsible provider ever should because, technically, there is always a risk of swelling, pinpoint bleeding, and bruising with every injection — I can tell you that following my expert advice will go a long way toward reducing your risk for side effects and speeding healing.
Prepare for your treatment
- Ease off the booze and other blood thinners. Common blood thinning substances include aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS), alcohol, green tea, garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, and ginger. While some people recommend avoiding blood thinners for only a day or two, the longer you can avoid them, the better.
- A week or two before your treatment, start taking arnica montana supplements. Arnica montana is a natural supplement available over the counter that is well-known for its anti-bruising and healing properties. Be sure to check with your provider first to make sure arnica is suitable for you.
- Take a before photo so you have a clear picture of your “baseline,” from which to assess your progress, or improvements. It’s hard to remember what you used to look like. Comparing your before and after photos will help you maintain a healthy perspective so you can achieve and maintain the most flattering results.
- Ice your treatment areas immediately before your injectables session. Icing will shrink your blood vessels, and the smaller they are, the less likely they are to be struck by the needle, which reduces your risk of bruising.
After your injectables session:
- Ice your treatment areas to reduce swelling, bruising, and bleeding.
- Keep your hands off. Resist the temptation to massage your treatment areas, which can break down your dermal fillers before their time and also make swelling worse.
- Relax and don’t worry. Injectables are not treatments to schedule the day of a big event or dinner party. To be on the safe side, schedule your session for a time when you can return home and take it easy. Any side effects will dissipate in the days following your treatment. Your job is to relax and let your skin heal itself and adjust to its new contours. Even the best changes take a little time.